Home

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

''Thin Doctors Only!" Coming to a Hospital Near You?

There is an article posted on Medscape News on 03 May 2012

Can a Hospital Say, "Only Thin Doctors Can Work Here"?


According to Art Caplan, there are no laws against discrimination against overweight people, except in Michigan. So, it's legal for hospitals to say they are not going to hire anybody, doctors, health staffs, nurses, who is overweight.

In his opinion, he thinks the hospital shouldn't necessarily say that only the thin ones can work. He mentions treating other healthcare risks equally like wearing helmet on a motorcycle or a bicycle, wearing seat belts, or even riding horses, or own a gun because it is dangerous. He also thinks that patients can deal with seeing all kinds of healthcare workers with all kinds of habits and all kinds of lifestyles (and receive the right message about maintaining good health habits??- my own note.)

I have to say I disagree. I'm so glad to read this article and find out already after only first few paragraphs that this is legal. We all know that overweight and obesity lead to all kinds of health problems. Diabetes, coronary disease, knee arthritis,etc. And it's such a clear picture to imagine an overweight staff counsel people about health and says "Follow what I say, don't do what I do." See what I mean?

Want to weigh in your opinion? I'd be glad to know. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment