Home

Friday, July 6, 2012

Sempre

I've spent a total of three days reading Sempre. 
This is abnormal. Or is it normal? 
Normal for a really good 531 pages book, I guess.
Normally I finish a book in a day. 
The speed of reading tells me one thing though. 
The slower I read, the better the book is. 
Like I said on Facebook, I had 3 other tabs on while reading. 
The last time I needed a dictionary together with Google Translate and Google Images was when I read Gabriel. 
Something rings? 

This book is much better than Gabriel. 

Sempre

Sempre is the book mainly about Mafia and Slavery. 
It's about love. Or it resolves around it. 
Talking about love.. Carmine said
"People use the word too loosely as it is. They say they love this and they love that, when they don't. They just like the shi- uh, stuff. Love is something that changes you, and if you really loved all the crap you say you love, you'd never know who you were because you'd constantly be changing. Once you love, you love forever. You can't help it."
 
And talking about thoughts, this is how JM. Darhower, the author, put it when Haven felt guilty for wasting so much paper. 
"Trees lived and breathed, enduring so much and still surviving, growing stronger and bigger no matter the conditions."

I always envy how these good authors come up with these thoughts.
And I think these thoughts are just the tip of an iceberg. JM. Darhower must have so much going on in her head. This book has everything in it. She even managed to squeeze a couple of good jokes and La Vita Nuova in.

I love Vincent for his pure soul. 
I love the interaction between him and his son. 
I love how he tried to wrap around things, to do good, given bad circumstances around it. 
At least, he tried.
I hate it that Carmine was so f*cked up. He kept screwing things. 
And he cursed too much. 
I like how Corrado ended up. It must be the result of his own karma.

I didn't read the book description before I read it. So I didn't have any expectations. Now that I finished the book and looked back at its description, I couldn't agree more.
 
This is a story about sacrifice... death... love... freedom. This is a story about forever. 

If you have time and looking for a book to read. Choose this one. 
I promise you won't regret it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment